Abs Exercise Workouts
With summer approaching, we all want to get that trim tummy. So when we hit the beach, pool or BBQ. We can feel confident in ourselves. So what is best abdominal (abs) exercise workouts? Well to be honest there are many, however we have hand-picked a selection which shall guarantee results, but be warned they are not for the faint hearted. So try out these abdominal exercise workouts…
3/4 Ab Sit-Up
- Lie down on your back and plant your feet firmly, while bending your legs at the knees.
- Put your hands to the side of your head. (this is your starting point).
- Flex at your hips and raise your torso toward your knees
- At the top of the contraction your torso should be perpendicular (90 degrees) to the ground. Reverse the motion, going only ¾ of the way down.
- Reverse the motion (extending at the hip) slowly and controlled, going only ¾ of the way down.
Exercise Ball Crunchies
- Lie on an exercise ball with your lower back positioned on the ball.
- Plant your feet firmly on the ground, shoulder width part.
- The upper torso should not be in contact with the ball.
- Bring your arms to the side of the body or place on your chest (harder)
- Lower your torso into a stretch position. Do not move your neck. This will be your starting position.
- Flex the waist by contracting the abdominals and curl the shoulders and trunk upward (do not pull the neck forwards) until you feel a nice contraction on your abdominals.
- As you come forwards, inhale
- Slowly extend from the hips to your starting position.
Ab Bicycle Kicks
- Lie flat on the floor on you back with hand to the side of your head.
- Do not lift your neck forwards, but lift you shoulders off the ground.
- Raise your knees up to where they are perpendicular (90 degrees) to the floor, with your lower legs parallel to the floor.
- Now simultaneously, imagine to cycle a bike in the movement of the right leg and bringing in the knee of the left leg.
- Bring your right elbow close to your left knee by crunching to the side, as you breathe out.
- Breathe in, at the starting point.
- Repeat the motion and alternate.
Ab Air Kicks (Leg Extensions)
- Begin by lying on your back.
- Lie your legs flat on the floor, and extent them.
- Bring your arms at your sides. This will be your starting position.
- To perform the movement, tuck the knees toward your chest by flexing the hips and knees.
- Following this, extend your legs directly above you so that they are perpendicular to the ground. Rotate and elevate your pelvis to raise your glutes from the floor.
- After a brief pause, return to the starting position.
Ab Roll Out (Hard)
- Find a flat space to roll backwards and forwards on
- Hold a barbell loaded with 5kgs on each side (same size) and kneel on the floor behind it.
- Get into the press up position, holding the barbell. This will be your starting position.
- In a very slow and controlled motion, roll the barbell straight forward, stretching your body into a straight position (Plank).
- Breathe in while rolling the barbell out!
- Slowly, start pulling your upper body back to your knees as you breathe out.
- Contract your abs at all times.
Ab Landmines – 180 Degree Twists (Hard)
- Position an Olympic bar into a landmine position or securely anchor it in a corner (2 walls meet) Load the bar to an appropriate weight .
- Raise the bar off the floor (squatting to not ruin your back) and lift to shoulder height
- Obtain a wide stance (shoulder width or wider) . This will be your starting position.
- Perform the movement by rotating the trunk and hips (obliques) as you swing the weight all the way down to one side. (90 degrees)
- Keep your arms extended during the movement.
- Reverse the motion to swing the weight all the way to the opposite side (90 degrees in the opposite motion).